Re: [Enigma-devel] TLA on windows

From: Tacvek
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] TLA on windows
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 19:51:09 -0500

Having just had a fierce struggle with gettext/libintl I think I can
easily refute that claim... compared to that piece of crap, Arch really
shines!

I've made a small program in the past and all I had to do was use autopoint and make a few simple changes to my code to add gettext. It worked very well for me. BTW you should probably add a AM_GETEXT_VERSION line to autoconfig.ac so that autoreconf can be used in the rare case that /autogen.sh fails.

For adding gettext, I read nearly the entire manual of the latest version before I began, and had almost no trouble at all, except the fact that I do not really know any language besides english with which to test gettext, but i did make up a fake language file and it worked propperly.

(Ok I did have to mess with autoconf.ac a little bit, but it was more or less jist adding a line or two. And makevars.template threw me off for a while, but the hardest part for me was making the changes to the C code itself, and even that was not really hard, just tedious).

Your troubles may have been caused by your use of gettextize, which is no lonmger reccomended.

---

On the whole I find nearly all GNU programs better than arch.

I will admit that arch is better but it has major flaws. CVS only downloads the latest version of a file when it needs to. Arch (if the maintainer does not intervene) downloads the original files and every single patch ever made. Imaginge how hard it would be to hack a hge project like mozilla with a system like that.

Subversion has flaws of its own also, so most projects still use CVS

---

In the end it is all a matter of what works, I'm just warning you that for the foreseeable future TLA is useless for windows development.

Also I question any software designer who habitually keeps his website in a state where it looks like he has a lot of content, but most of the links are dead. If you don't have the context, don't make a link. Especially if the content is not going to be up for well over a year.

I also question any developer so vain as to name their software after themselves. (TLA= Tom Lord's Arch)

Tacvek