Re: [Enigma-devel] TLA on windows

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] TLA on windows
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 10:23:46 +0100

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 19:51:09 -0500 Tacvek wrote:

> > Having just had a fierce struggle with gettext/libintl I think I can
> > easily refute that claim... compared to that piece of crap, Arch really
> > shines!
>
> I've made a small program in the past and all I had to do was use autopoint
> and make a few simple changes to my code to add gettext. It worked very well
> for me.

Things that don't work well: 1) Changing the language setting at
run-time 2) Quering the currently used language at run-time.  The first
one can be solved by changing environment variables from inside the
program and running *both* setlocale (LC_MESSAGES, "C") *and* setlocale
(LC_MESSAGES, "").  (Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere in any
manual.) And the second problem can be solved by copying 1000 lines of
code from libintl and duplicting that code in your own program.  Never
mind that reading the libintl source code is extremely painful to read,
since there are three lines of macro code for every other line of code.
Yuck.

> Your troubles may have been caused by your use of gettextize, which is no
> lonmger reccomended.

Nope, worked fine.

> In the end it is all a matter of what works, I'm just warning you that for
> the foreseeable future TLA is  useless for windows development.

Whoever maintains Enigma a year from now will be able to chose whatever
version control system he or she prefers.  Arch was always supposed to be an
interim solution, and I think I said so a few times.

> I also question any developer so vain as to name their software after
> themselves. (TLA= Tom Lord's Arch)

If I judged all software by their authors I might not be able to use
most free (and possibly, for that matter, proprietary) software at all.
I don't think such reasoning lead anywhere.

Concerning programs being named after their creators: SDL was long
rumored to be named after Sam Lantinga, its main author (forgot what the
"D" stands for).  I don't think Enigma would exist without this library :-)

Daniel