[FR] Should Org provide commonly used link types? (was: Link from orgmod

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: [FR] Should Org provide commonly used link types? (was: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch))
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:56:25 +0000

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> You see, Org is part of Emacs, me I expect that when I follow Emacs
> Instructions that Org will be using Emacs settings, but it follows
> it's own settings.
>
> I mean these settings:
>
> browse-url-handlers is a variable defined in ‘browse-url.el’.
>
> Its value is
> (("gemini:" . elpher-go)
>  ("gopher:" . elpher-handler-go)
>  ("about:" . hyperscope-about)
>  ("mid:" . my-handler)
>  ("hyperscope:" . hyperscope-url)
>  ("e2dk://" . amule-handler))
> Original value was nil

I do not mind adding several useful link protocols. But which ones?

Org cannot just treat arbitrary [[foo:bar]] as links because it will
break internal link references like

[[ref:one]]
<<ref:one>>

So, we cannot just say: use `browse-url' when the link type is known.
The link types in Org are a closed list.

What we can do is add some more known link types. Some of them will use
`browse-url' as :follow link parameter.

However, what are the link types which are worth including into the Org
code? I am looking into the protocols supported by Firefox now.
They are: mailto, news, nntp, snwes, afp, data, disk, disks, hcp, htp,
htps, http, iehistory, ierss, ile, javascript, le, mk, moz-icon,
ms-help, ms-msdt, ps, res, search, search-ms, shell, tps, ttp, ttps,
vbscript, vnd.ms.radio, and file.

Note that mid: is not listed.

Suggestions welcome. Probably, we can at least support the protocols
available via Emacs packages (e.g. notmuch does support mid: links).

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,