Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 21:03:33 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> [2023-01-24 12:43]:
> Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On 23/01/2023 17:40, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> >> I am not even sure if we need to make Org open mid: links via
> >> `browse-url'. Maybe it should be something else? IDK.
> >
> > Do you know an alternative? Org already uses this package to open some
> > types of links. It allows to have the same handler for all Emacs
> > packages. I do not think that Org-specific handler would be better.
>
> I am mostly concerned that channelling mid: links to browse-url will not
> work (open empty page in browser) in most cases. This is more confusing
> than not having mid: link handler at all.

Thanks.

It does not mean that browse-url "will not work" but that user did not
customize content types.

You need not think what users will customize neither you can't know what future
brings.

Do you see that any browser could have the same strategy to maybe
forbid various URLs, but browsers mostly adopted the strategy to let
user customize how to open some URL.

>From Org side that is all, you do not hard code how to open various
links, but there shall be customization for users to decide how to
open content types.

That is what other browsers do as well.

You don't need to think of it, as you cannot control other program
from Org.

Please allow users to set URL handlers how they want. That is
customary for decades.

Other program must know how to handle hyperlinks, if to report error,
or to warn user or to ask user how to open such URLs.

For example Elinks with

$ elinks mid:123

"This URL contains a protocol not yet known by ELinks. You can
configure an external handler for it through the options system."

or for example Firefox:

"Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the
following protocols (mid) isn’t associated with any program or is not
allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address."

It is for me as user to set it, and not for Org to think how user is
to customize or use other software.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns