Re: Introducing Org-transclusion

From: Noboru Ota
Subject: Re: Introducing Org-transclusion
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 20:24:24 +0100

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> If I include the content of another org file (say Russell) into my
> main.org file
>
>     1. I can export main.org to say latex and that latex file includes
>        the corresponding content of Russell.
>     2. It is a one way bridge, I cannot modify the content of Russell in
>        main.org, right?

You can.  Put your point on the read-only copied text content in
main.org (transcluded text) and press "e" to call the
"org-transclusion-live-sync-start" command.  The transcluded text and
source will get an overlay, which lets you edit and sync the changed
content real-time. This works both ways.

There are some restrictions if the source file is Org file; you will get
a message telling you that you cannot activate live-sync for these
cases.  This is due to the way I use Org elements.  I might be able to
find a way later with this helpful community.  The restriction is
documented in the docstring of the "live-sync-start" command.  Here is
an excerpt:

    For transclusions of Org elements or a buffer, live-sync works
    only on the following elements: center-block, drawer,
    dynamic-block, latex-environment, paragraph, plain-list,
    quote-block, special-block table, and verse-block.

Let me know if you have more questions. Thank you for taking interest :)

Noboru