Re: Introducing Org-transclusion

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Introducing Org-transclusion
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 08:56:16 +1100

Noboru Ota <me@nobiot.com> writes:

> Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> It’s worth noting that currently Org’s minimum supported Emacs version is
>> 25. Do
>> you use much from Emacs 26/27? There was mention of compat.el earlier though,
>> and if that goes somewhere this may not be an issue.
>
> Thank you, Timothy.  I take it that support for version 25 to be a
> prerequsite for Org-transclusion to be included in Org.
>
> It never occured to me; thanks for pointing it out.  I will need to
> check -- it was just my development was done mainly on 27.
>
> Does this mean Org contributors have different versions of Emacs (25,
> 26, 27...) and test their patches in every version?  Do you know?

The org 'policy' is to support the current released Emacs version and
the two previous versions. Current released version is 27.2, so need to
support 26.* and 25.*. We recently dropped the requirement to support
24.x. Once Emacs 28 is released, support for 25.x can be dropped.

WRT making this part of org-mode core, I'm not in favour. This is no
reflection on the package, which I think is a great addition to the org
ecosystem. My preference would be for this package to be an add-on
package in either ELPA or non-GNU ELPA.

My main reason for this is because I think we should be striving to make
the core org packages as small and easily maintained as possible,
containing the core functionality used by everyone. While this package
has some very useful functionality, I feel it is functionality which
will be used by a subset of users or by others only occasionally.

If, at a later date, it turns out a majority of users use this package,
we can review and if necessary/appropriate, bring the package into org core
(assuming copyright is handed over to FSF).