Re: [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 07:58:10 +0000

At Sat, 24 Oct 2009 21:34:10 -0500, Russell Adams wrote:

[...]

> I reverse my recommendation regarding BBDB.
>
> /rant on

[...]

> /rant off

I'm in complete agreement with you on this rant.  I do find it
incredible that there are no good contact managers out there, at least
not those that are not tied to some specific tool.

When my Psion 3 (various incarnations of this lovely little computer)
died a few years ago now, I have tried out a large number of contact
managers trying to find one that could replace the Psion.  I have had
no luck, having gone through bbdb and abook, amongst others.  This was
all before my second (more successful) encounter with org-mode.

> I'll post if I find a better alternative. I welcome recommendations
> while I try to centralize my contacts to CSV while I decide what to
> put them in.

I've gone to using org-mode for this: an entry (top level heading) for
each person and details fully written out in free form but also some
details in properties that I can then view in column mode (phone
number etc.).  But please do pass on any suggestions for alternatives!