Re: [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 09:22:04 -0500

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 10:51:07AM -0300, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:

> If there was someway to sync (two-way) bbdb with google contacts all problems
> would be solved for me, since I can sync my phone with google contacts and
> Evolution can read/write from/to google contacts (although nowadays I use
> wanderlust in Emacs instead of evolution, which obviously can use bbdb).
>
> Darlan

That is one of my issues. I just got a new G1 and am having to merge
my contact data from BBDB, mutt aliases, lbdb's incoming mail DB, my
previous cell phone, and outlook to push up to Google Mail so I can
sync it with my G1.

Every other file is easy to work with except BBDB. I'm close to just
managing contacts in CSV and leaving it there.

I would consider using Google as a master copy of my contacts only if
I can automate the download of a CSV from Google. I'm not always
online and can't operate without a local copy. That doesn't look too
good at this point, because the Google API only documents
RSS/Atom/JSON, not the CSV that gmail uses.

Abook is still in the lead due to its consistent import/export
support, however because it isn't flexible I may just do a CSV file
and grep it for Mutt.

> At Sun, 25 Oct 2009 02:04:18 -0400,
> Charles Philip Chan <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Russell Adams <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > I'm migrating out of it as fast as I can. The import/export tools are
> > > terrible / nonexistant unless you know elisp,
> >
> > Have you tried any of these.
> >
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BbdbImporters
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BbdbExporters

contact or even multiple lines per contact is not a valid way to
manage them in bulk. I've thrown them all in a spreadsheet for now.

I've also noted that vCard doesn't support grouping via keywords in
the standard. That's a problem in Abook's static field assignment, but
I can use a colon separated custom field if I must.

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden