Re: [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 21:34:10 -0500

> >     Lindsay> package.  Or is BBDB so wonderful that I should just use
> >     Lindsay> that instead?
> >
> > I use both and I really recommend BBDB. I've never used the link between
> > bbdb and org-mode, so I cannot comment on that. But they're two great
> > packages on their own merits.
> > Bets regards,
>
> I use both.  bbdb works great as a contact manager.  I link to entries
> in bbdb in my org-mode files for phone calls etc.
>
> -Bernt

I reverse my recommendation regarding BBDB.

/rant on

I'm migrating out of it as fast as I can. The import/export tools are
terrible / nonexistant unless you know elisp, and good luck with
resolving contacts from multiple sources.

I don't use GNUS or any of the other features of BBDB aside from rare
org-links and mutt lbdb integration for address lookup.

I have wasted hours at this point trying to export data from BBDB so I
can use it to rebuild my contacts on my new phone (G1). Imagine
hacking the data back out of BBDB's funky format so I can have it in
CSV. There's absolutely no way for me to sync between sources without
fast import/export.

At this point the forerunner is abook, not just because its format is
simple and plain text, but because it integrates with lbdb and FULL
CSV import and export work properly out of the box. My only complaints
are its fixed database format which doesn't extend easily, and its not
inside emacs.

Given that an "addressbook" program is typically used as the most
basic example in learning how to code forms or databases, its sad to
see how badly the available options suck.

/rant off

I'll post if I find a better alternative. I welcome recommendations
while I try to centralize my contacts to CSV while I decide what to
put them in.

Thanks.