Re: Unboxed package manager

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Unboxed package manager
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 20:06:24 +0100

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023 at 15:25, Philip Kaludercic wrote:

> I just skimmed through the initial message, and when reading this my
> initial thought is does the the advantage justify effort/complexity,
> considering that most users have an order of magnitude fewer packages
> installed (of which a few are installed using package-vc which IIUC
> would explicitly not want to make use of this feature).

I do think there's at least one aspect of this idea that many many
people need, namely: a simple way to add a directory such as
~/.emacs.d/lisp to the load path, with automatic support for autoloads,
byte-compilation and what not.  Such a thing is also useful if you are
developing some package, say at ~/project/mypackage.

A package manager exploiting this form or organizing elisp libraries
would be nice for some, I guess, but certainly it's a more niche
necessity.