Re: Unboxed package manager

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Unboxed package manager
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 15:25:11 +0000

Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> writes:

>>> It'll be interesting to see the numbers on the improvement. How much does
>>> it improve startup time if there is x packages and y are loaded at startup
>>> time?
>>
>> Good question. The systems I've done this manually on are one-off builds
>> of 28.x on sandboxed systems where the system emacs is 24.3.  So, I didn't
>> have to worry about managing package updates with any frequency.
>
> I don't have any hard measurements, but my recollection is that installing
> ~1200 packages on those systems and "loading the world" took something like
> 5 minutes, while a similar set of packages installed in a unified directory
> takes about 1.5 minutes.

I just skimmed through the initial message, and when reading this my
initial thought is does the the advantage justify effort/complexity,
considering that most users have an order of magnitude fewer packages
installed (of which a few are installed using package-vc which IIUC
would explicitly not want to make use of this feature).

--
Philip Kaludercic