Re: Unboxed package manager

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Unboxed package manager
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 19:39:27 -0400

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 10:31 AM Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not the SQL expressions I'm concerned about.  I'm just thinking of the
> existing sql-using code base expects rows to be represented with arrays, why
> add the cost of remarshalling them from lists?
>
> It just seems like a gratuitous incompatibility to me, unless there's a
> strong reason to prefer lists. I have no other reason to prefer either
> representation.  The die is cast now, anyway.

I did think of one other hackish (possibly kludgish) reason to return
arrays rather than lists.  It makes storing/returning collections of
structs (as currently implemented, anyway) to/from rows very low
overhead, at least if there is a way to store LispObjects
transparently.  There isn't a way to do so currently, of course.

Lynn