Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 05:37:20 +0200

> Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 21:53:24 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: mattiase@acm.org, larsi@gnus.org, acm@muc.de, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>     emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >> In short, the compilation time in make check is slower (which is
> >> expected), but the execution time in make check is also consistently
> >> ~7% slower.
> >
> > How did you separate compilation times from execution times,
> >

> See the attached patch.
>

> > and what does "execution time" stand for -- is that elapsed time, CPU
> > time, something else?
> >

> The first time printed by "time", that is, the wall clock time.

If you are measuring wallclock time, I don't see how the overall
slowdown is a reliable measure of any code performance.  The test
suite includes quite a few tests that deliberately wait for some
seconds for various reasons, and those times aren't affected by the
byte code or the interpreter.

We need to measure CPU time.