Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 18:01:20 +0000

I don't know what benchmarks would be representative of actual elisp usage, but on my build machine both make bootstrap and make check are consistently ~8% slower on correct-warning-pos vs master:

make -j1 bootstrap: 649s vs 596s
make -j4 bootstrap: 257s vs 238s
make -j8 bootstrap: 198s vs 183s

make -j1 check: 178s vs 162s
make -j4 check: 44s vs 40s
make -j8 check: 26s vs 24s

That's consistent with what was reported at the beginning of this thread (~7% slowdown). Byte compilation is expected to be slightly slower with this change.

But make check does a lot more than byte compilation, or am I missing something?