Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 17:06:47 +0100

22 jan. 2022 kl. 15.30 skrev Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>:

>> I now propose to merge the branch into master.  Do you (or anybody else)
>> still have any issues with this?
>
> I'd like to see the results from elisp-benchmarks with and without this
> patch set, please.

In my experience, the elisp-benchmarks are very much not representative of
actual elisp usage, and I have done quite some benchmarking for other reasons
lately.

Unless Alan has improved scratch/correct-warning-pos significantly in the last
few days, it still exhibits a penalty of about 3 % over master on common code
that I've tried. Byte-compilation is even slower than that since it enables
symbol positions.

It all depends a lot, of course -- obviously code that spends all its time in
I/O, in GC or the regexp engine will see little difference.