Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 05:34:50 +0200

> Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 20:41:40 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: mattiase@acm.org, larsi@gnus.org, acm@muc.de, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>     emacs-devel@gnu.org
>

> >> In short: byte-compilation is ~17.5% slower, execution is ~11% slower.
> >> Nowhere near the "in the region of 1%" that was announced.
> >
> > The 1% figure was with a different benchmark.  Each benchmark exercises
> > a different part of the byte-code interpreter.
> >

> At least the test suite is not a micro-benchmark.  I exercises a large
> subset of Emacs features, and I don't see anything in these ~110K lines of
> Elisp that make them significantly different from other Elisp programs.
> My conclusion is that Emacs is now, on average, about 10% slower.

Your conclusion is premature.  While micro-benchmarks don't represent
a typical Emacs usage, neither are the tests in the test suite.  They
are run in batch mode, and the don't involve important Emacs
subsystems, such as the display engine.

So the actual slowdown in "normal" usage could be quite different from
what the test suite measures.