Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 18:59:39 +0000

What you reported was more educated guesses than results.

No, these are results.

Why don't you actually _measure_ some hopefully typical Emacs use, and tell us exactly how you got these measurements. Start off saying how you configured your build, followed by calling emacs -Q, with all the other detailed steps needed to duplicate your measurements.

This information is all upthread, but in case you missed it, I'll repeat it here. I built Emacs with its standard configuration options (IOW I just typed "make" in a fresh clone of the repository), on an up-to-date and unloaded Debian bookworm machine. To split the time of make check between compilation and execution, I used the attached patch (which I already sent upthread).

You may have seen that this optimization has no effect without --with-native-compilation. This may explain that.

The bootstrap time without native compilation is much shorter in any case.

This is an unrelated question, but no, it is not. With just "make" (IOW without --with-native-compilation) I do not see a significant difference between 10083e788f and 808917b3fc.