Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 10:19:54 -0500

>> I don't know how to do that, OTOH (at least in a way that's not too
>> susceptible to ridiculous amounts of bias).
> "Bias" in what sense?

In the sense that some users may be given a lot more weight than others,
or in the sense of being susceptible to conscious efforts to influence
the outcome (like a user writing a script that votes a million times
because they really like that SuperFoo package and they're frustrated
that it scores below package SimpleFoo).

To some extent it's unavoidable (counting downloads is also subject to
those kinds of problems), but arguably less so than a pure voting
system, because it comes as a side effect of a real action.

>>> But as the package is already borderline heretical, I hesitate to do
>>> something like this (the same applies to updating the default rcirc
>>> and erc server lists).
>>
>> Maybe we can make it safe enough via something like
>>
>>     (when (member package-archives
>>       (add-to-list 'package-archives '("nongnu" . ...)))
>>
>> so it only adds the entry when nothing's been changed yet.
>
> Yes, this was my idea.

Than it looks quite safe and acceptable to me.

        Stefan