Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 18:47:34 -0500

>>> I am not against any efforts in this direction, of course, and I would
>>> welcome any kind of initiative to do "community outreach" here.
>> What do you mean by this?
> I think it would be beneficial to think of ways to encourage people to
> consider sending patches to Emacs or packages instead of writing up yet
> another package.  This could be in the form of posts on Reddit, IRC,
> blogs, etc.

I think in many cases it's illusory to expect this because it's easier
for the users to write their own package custom-tailored to their
specific case (oftentimes without realizing to what extent it's custom
tailored) than to try and understand the generic code which has to take
into account many more cases that they've never even dreamed of.

But we should at least aim to make it so those users find it natural to
send us a bug report showing describing the problem they encountered and
the way they fixed it in their package.  And also make sure that we then
followup on it, to try and integrate a fix or the features, encouraging
him to take part in it, without necessarily forcing him to do the work.

> Personally, I would just do it.  The new defaults are arguably just
> better in those cases; no one will benefit from not having NonGNU ELPA
> or trying to connect to an almost dead IRC network.

Actually for `package-archives` I was thinking of doing it in
`gnu-elpa-keyring-update`.

        Stefan