Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 10:37:45 +0300

> > I also think we should have a "rating" system in place, which should
> > also somehow include information on which version/date the user rated
> > the package in.
>
> Would also be nice.

While it is good idea, it would be good to add the care of genuity of
such ratings.

If such rating system goes over HTTP anonymously and without
registration, that opens door to false statistics, thus false reports.

It is good to have genuine rating system that would tell something
about background of the rating.

If such rating is automated then full description of the rating system
in simple English shall be provided.

Let me give the example of what I think is false report based on
download count on melpa.org domain, that is similar to ratings
system. It gives download count.

> dash, A modern list library for Emacs, 20210826.1149, github, download
> count being 3,951,288

That line alone is vague to its meanings:

- I am asking myself, was the version 20210826.1149 downloaded
  3,951,288 times?

- or was that the total download count for all versions?

- then I am pretty sure that "dash" is not a package users would
  download manually, rather automatically

- it appears most popular package by download count, while it is
  probably not well mentioned package among people in their written
  and verbal communication;

Thus ratings method in ELPA shall be described in public for people to
understand the background.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns