Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:03:05 +0000

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Interesting idea, though it should probably be opt-in, at the risk of
>> skewing the popularity data towards enthusiasts.  Just one thing: It
>> seems like this would either require a special server or to scrub the
>> server logs.  Is either of that feasible?
>
> I don't know what you mean by scrubbing the server logs, but my idea is
> that we just extract whatever data we need from it, while ensuring that
> we remove any personal identifiers.

Not sure why I wrote "scrubbing", I just meant to say that since
the packages are to my knowledge hosted statically, one would have to
use the HTTP logs to check for queries in the URL.

>> It might not be bad to collect these notes somewhere.  I also have my
>> private notes, and if more people want to contribute, being able to
>> quickly check what the status of a package is (waiting for a patch to be
>> applied, obsoleted, ...) would be useful.
>
> I wouldn't mind just keeping a separate org-file in nongnu.git or even
> just notes directly in the elpa-packages file.  The main problem will be
> to ensure that such notes don't go too wildly out of date.

In that case elpa-packages might be preferable.

>>  I agree that it would be preferable,
>> but a tone for what packages are added to NonGNU ELPA can already be
>> set.
>
> I think we agree; my point is merely that the tone we want to set will
> carry more weight to the extent that NonGNU ELPA is successful and
> widely used.

Yes, I agree.

>>  It might be possible to spread NonGNU
>> ELPA via compat (https://git.sr.ht/~pkal/compat), as soon as it is
>> released.  It seems that there is already some interest in using this
>> package, most notably from transient.  But as the package is already
>> borderline heretical, I hesitate to do something like this (the same
>> applies to updating the default rcirc and erc server lists).
>
> Personally, I would just do it.  The new defaults are arguably just
> better in those cases; no one will benefit from not having NonGNU ELPA
> or trying to connect to an almost dead IRC network.

Ok, I will use this thread as an excuse if anyone were to complain ^^.

> BTW, could you consider adding the fix for the vulnerability in
> enriched-text-mode on Emacs < 25.3, as detailed in etc/NEWS.25?

I can take a look at that, thanks for the reminder!

--
        Philip Kaludercic