Re: [elpa] main 739d4baf7d: * elpa-packages (orderless): New package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] main 739d4baf7d: * elpa-packages (orderless): New package
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 10:13:14 -0500

>> Hopefully Emacs-29 will be bundled with several GNU ELPA packages.
>> Of course, we could also include orderless directly in emacs.git's
>> `lisp` directory, but unless the author wants to use that as the
>> official upstream, I think it's just too much hassle to keep everything
>> in sync.
> Oh, I must have missed that this was planned.

Well, it's been "planned" for quite a while.
Whether it will finally be done for Emacs-29 is anyone's guess.

> But my point here was not to add orderless directly, but to extract
> the relevant code and add it to the existing completion styles as
> optional features.

Ah, then I don't have an opinion because it all depends on which parts
and how they're added.  I consider the effort of installing a GNU ELPA
packages to be very low, so adding parts of orderless to the core need
to be balanced against the downside of duplication and the potential
increase in maintenance burden.

        Stefan