Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:32:47 -0800

> Interesting idea, though it should probably be opt-in, at the risk of
> skewing the popularity data towards enthusiasts.  Just one thing: It
> seems like this would either require a special server or to scrub the
> server logs.  Is either of that feasible?

I don't know what you mean by scrubbing the server logs, but my idea is
that we just extract whatever data we need from it, while ensuring that
we remove any personal identifiers.

>  But as this is an entire
> package-space onto itself, I am uncertain which of these are actually
> being used and which are obsoleted by either other evil-specific
> packages, other general packages or even features in Emacs.

Yes, but at the same time I don't think it's too bad if we catch the odd
package that perhaps shouldn't have made it.  At some point in the
future, we will want to implement some mechanism for obsoleting
packages, so we will be able to fix that.  Eventually, hopefully.

> It might not be bad to collect these notes somewhere.  I also have my
> private notes, and if more people want to contribute, being able to
> quickly check what the status of a package is (waiting for a patch to be
> applied, obsoleted, ...) would be useful.

I wouldn't mind just keeping a separate org-file in nongnu.git or even
just notes directly in the elpa-packages file.  The main problem will be
to ensure that such notes don't go too wildly out of date.

>> I am not against any efforts in this direction, of course, and I would
>> welcome any kind of initiative to do "community outreach" here.
>
> What do you mean by this?

I think it would be beneficial to think of ways to encourage people to
consider sending patches to Emacs or packages instead of writing up yet
another package.  This could be in the form of posts on Reddit, IRC,
blogs, etc.

>  I agree that it would be preferable,
> but a tone for what packages are added to NonGNU ELPA can already be
> set.

I think we agree; my point is merely that the tone we want to set will
carry more weight to the extent that NonGNU ELPA is successful and
widely used.

>  It might be possible to spread NonGNU
> ELPA via compat (https://git.sr.ht/~pkal/compat), as soon as it is
> released.  It seems that there is already some interest in using this
> package, most notably from transient.  But as the package is already
> borderline heretical, I hesitate to do something like this (the same
> applies to updating the default rcirc and erc server lists).

Personally, I would just do it.  The new defaults are arguably just
better in those cases; no one will benefit from not having NonGNU ELPA
or trying to connect to an almost dead IRC network.

BTW, could you consider adding the fix for the vulnerability in
enriched-text-mode on Emacs < 25.3, as detailed in etc/NEWS.25?