Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 07:47:26 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2022-01-10 20:25]:
> > Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 07:15:56 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: luangruo@yahoo.com, casouri@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > * Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2022-01-07 15:12]:
> > >
> > > ??? Why wouldn't new users customize Emacs?  Customization is
> > > generally one of the first things I do in any new program I start
> > > using.
> >
> > You are advanced computer user.
>
> So is (almost) anyone who comes to Emacs.  They are Emacs newbies, but
> they are not computer newbies.
>
> Please don't consider our newbies to be too dumb.

Of course not, never mentioned it.

Speaking from real life observation and new people facing Emacs:

I have here recruitment line, a process to recruit people. First step
for them was to learn the TUTORIAL and they went through tutorial and
used Emacs. About 4-5 people in Tanzania and about 5-7 people in
Uganda went through it. So in this process people are also not new to
computers and none of my staff members ever started, wanted or
attempted to improve Emacs by changing settings or optimizing it.

The small personal experience with about 10+ people does not and
cannot tell about general first time encounter with Emacs.

Customization experience is rather coming when user standards reading
the Emacs Manual.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman