Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 13:14:35 -0800

> On Jan 2, 2022, at 10:50 AM, Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I don’t have any problem of adding it to core. I’m just pessimistic
>> about how many people are incentivized to push for it and agree on
>> things.
>
> I am incentivized to both push for and agree on things.  ;-)
>
> More seriously, you already had Eli agree that this does belong in core,
> so I think the process should be rather smooth sailing, especially if we
> try to make the first step as uncontroversial as possible.

Thanks. I’m happy to work on that.

>> Putting it on ELPA doesn’t stop from working it into core, I think. I
>> don’t want to get into another 1000-thread debate about what is the
>> “minimal set”. Many of the stuff in setup-wizard.el are not easily
>> agreed upon, but removing them IMO decreases the usefulness of
>> setup-wizard.
>
> How about putting the uncontroversial part in core, and creating a more
> opinionated/useful add-on to put in GNU ELPA?  Then you can do basically
> whatever you think is best in your add-on, while all new users still
> benefit from the less opinionated/useful part that we put in core.
>
> I am also not eager to get into a 1000-thread debate, but here are my
> observations on the points you bring up:
>
>> For example, the “wizards’ choice” binding scheme,
>
> Could you expand on what this means?

Binding copy, cut and paste to s-c, s-x, s-v, respectively. It might not always
work since some window managers intercept the super modifier bindings, but
otherwise I think they could be useful. I use them myself from time to time.

>> the option to turn off menu-bar,
>
> I have no opinion on whether or not this should be part of an initial
> setup wizard.
>
>> the recommendation of ivy and company.
>
> These sound good to me.  Does the wizard also help install the packages,
> and say clearly that this is about to happen?

Yes and yes, Po suggested stating clearly that packages are downloaded
automatically from the Internet. I added some words that say that.

Yuan