Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 18:55:22 +0100 (CET)

Jan 2, 2022, 20:36 by xenodasein:

> Jan 2, 2022, 20:26 by casouri@gmail.com:
>
>> I don’t have any problem of adding it to core. I’m just pessimistic about
>> how many people are incentivized to push for it and agree on things.
>>
>> Putting it on ELPA doesn’t stop from working it into core, I think. I don’t
>> want to get into another 1000-thread debate about what is the “minimal set”.
>> Many of the stuff in setup-wizard.el are not easily agreed upon, but
>> removing them IMO decreases the usefulness of setup-wizard. For example, the
>> “wizards’ choice” binding scheme, the option to turn off menu-bar, the
>> recommendation of ivy and company.
>>
>> Yuan
>>

> Nah, I don't believe it will be too hard for this kind of improvement
> to make it in, don't worry, unless you are trying to change default
> key bindings.  :)
>
> As for this package I think it is a step in the right direction.  What we
> should strive for eventually is a customization interface that does things
> like modifying key bindings, for minor and major modes, (in addition to
> other stuff) + wizard + interactive tutorial, integrated.

To comment on details of the wizard, best option would be to keep it
initially as versatile as possible, to test it.  I for one can't be sure of my
choices, by not being a member of the target audience.  Can't know for
sure unless a number of people who has never used Emacs before try
and comment on it.  (There was a witty name for them using reference
to Catholicism, but I guess even that came to be considered harmful.  Sigh.)