Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 18:36:53 +0100 (CET)

Jan 2, 2022, 20:26 by casouri@gmail.com:

>  I don’t have any problem of adding it to core. I’m just pessimistic about
> how many people are incentivized to push for it and agree on things.
>
> Putting it on ELPA doesn’t stop from working it into core, I think. I don’t
> want to get into another 1000-thread debate about what is the “minimal set”.
> Many of the stuff in setup-wizard.el are not easily agreed upon, but removing
> them IMO decreases the usefulness of setup-wizard. For example, the “wizards’
> choice” binding scheme, the option to turn off menu-bar, the recommendation
> of ivy and company.
>
> Yuan

Nah, I don't believe it will be too hard for this kind of improvement
to make it in, don't worry, unless you are trying to change default
key bindings.  :)

As for this package I think it is a step in the right direction.  What we
should strive for eventually is a customization interface that does things
like modifying key bindings, for minor and major modes, (in addition to
other stuff) + wizard + interactive tutorial, integrated.