Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 13:02:42 +0300

* Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> [2022-01-03 22:09]:
> And please don't say they "should" learn Emacs Lisp -- some people may
> find that enjoyable but lack the time, and some others may simply not
> want to at all.  Asking people to learn Emacs Lisp to make future
> customizations is simply unacceptable as part of a setup guide for _new_
> users.

Nobody must or is forced.

However, customizations were suggested for decades and people do learn
Lisp by doing customizations.

Contrary to your opinion, I found it welcome and acceptable.

The Emacs manual talks about Emacs variables and customizations
through variables. That is successful over time.

Who does not want, may use customize options.

Emacs is Emacs. It is not a Notepad.

Vim is Vim, it is not a notepad.

Customizations of Emacs and many other editors are part of the
program.

What you really want is plain Emacs without customizations for new
users. New users will not customize it anyway. I do not see any
problem.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns