RE: FW: [External] : Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: FW: [External] : Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 16:04:05 +0000

> >> Hmm, then where should it write to?
> > IMO, something like
> > (setq custom-file (locate-user-emacs-file "custom-file.el"))
>
> I'd prefer the current behavior TBH, because the real
> issue is not where it is written, it is when it's read.

No.  The real issue is who is writing it, and where.

Users can control the location of `custom-file'
and when it's read.

And we can provide a default location and time
of reading.

> Currently it is easy to place custom-set-variables
> where you want either inside init file or to place it into another
> file.

That would of course still be the case.  Nothing
prevents you from doing anything in your init or
another file - including calling custom* functions.

> Timing is important,

It's absolutely important, and needs to remain
under user control.

> because Customize also has problems with
> autoloads, and who knows what else.

Dunno what problems you envision - please be
specific.

The only real change is to prevent Customize
from writing to your init file.  Nothing else.