RE: [External] : Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act o

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act on region?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 17:50:39 +0000

> > > That is your personal interpretation, but it is not true.
> >
> > Can you show evidence that it's _not true_, or is that
> > just  "your personal interpretation"?
>
> You are now down to distorting what I write by removing
> parts of whatever I respond to?

Oh, please, stop the ad hominem.

Did you instead mean that the "personal interpretation"
which is "not true", was the second line I wrote, not
the first?  Here are the lines:

  > `transient-mark-mode' being on is the common case now.
  > Some commands haven't awakened to see that's the case.

I had to guess what it was you were claiming was personal
and untrue, and I spoke to that.  Apparently I guessed
wrong; sorry.  I thought you were trying to argue that
t-m-m ON is not so common.  Mea culpa.

If you meant the second line, then yes, it's a personal
opinion, and there's really no true or false possible.

By that second line, I meant that there are many commands
that don't take t-m-m into account.  When the mode is ON
they don't do anything different from when it's OFF.  And
when it's ON they don't make a difference for whether the
region is active or is empty.

Many commands predate the existence of t-m-m, let alone
its being turned ON by default.  Would you argue that
there are _no_ such commands that could benefit from
considering the t-m-m ON case?  I, yes, suggested that
"some" might benefit.  A personal opinion, yes.  There's
no true or false here.