RE: [External] : Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act o

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act on region?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 00:25:26 +0000

> >> If we take a step back, I think we'll see there's a "better optimum"
> >> in this area when `transient-mark-mode` is in use.  E.g. we could
> >> combine `downcase-word` and `downcase-region` into a single command
> >> which will do either of the two depending on `use-region-p`.
> >
> > Sure, you can do something like that.  But the thread
> > is not particularly about down-casing.  It's about
> > some/most/all such commands.
>
> My comment above was not specific to downcasing either.

Actually, your comment above _was_ specific to downcasing.
But maybe you meant something more general.

In that case, you're talking about substituting a bunch
of commands, presumably swapping in the new commands for
(some of) their bindings.

Would those key-binding changes be by default?  Some old
users might not appreciate the change in default behavior
(but of course they can always rebind the keys).

If you don't propose such key-binding changes, then users
not used to region-commands that act on an inactive region
will continue to be bitten.