Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act on region?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act on region?
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 10:03:07 -0400

> There are some commands, such as `downcase-region',
> that act on the region regardless of whether it's
> active.  Because `transient-mark-mode' has been on by
> default for quite a while now, and because there are
> few such commands, users can wonder what's going on.

I see two sub-issues to this:

1- Breaking long-standing behavior.  I'll let others figure out how to
   minimize this (e.g. by testing for `transient-mark-mode` or something).

2- If we take a step back, I think we'll see there's a "better optimum"
   in this area when `transient-mark-mode` is in use.  E.g. we could
   combine `downcase-word` and `downcase-region` into a single command
   which will do either of the two depending on `use-region-p`.

-- Stefan