Re: [External] : Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act o

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act on region?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 22:42:36 +0300

> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 19:22:06 +0000
> Cc: "monnier@iro.umontreal.ca" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>  "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> No, it is what I actually wrote.  I suggested that
> "some" (SOME) such commands "might" (MIGHT) "benefit".

No, that's what you say now.

> Saying that some _commands_ haven't yet awakened to
> handle taking t-m-m into account is only saying that
> they haven't been updated to take t-m-m into account.
>
> It says nothing about "the Emacs developers", and
> certainly not that they are "obtuse or worse".  Is it
> possible to point to areas of possible improvement
> for Emacs without being accused of attacking you?

Depends on the words you use.  May I suggest that you think about your
words some more next time?  You have been pointed out by several
people already that your style and attitude make it very unpleasant to
have useful conversations with you.

> There are many such commands.  Maybe there are only
> a few that, upon consideration, we would want to
> update.  Who knows, without considering?

Here we go again: you assume, almost by default, that no one has
considered that.  And of course, your opinion that clearly shows is
that if we DID consider it, we would have changed MANY commands.

> The connection to this thread is that there are
> commands that might well be doing something less
> than ideal in t-m-m with an inactive region, and
> the proposal is about a general way to handle some
> of that.

If you know about such commands (besides the two you mentioned), name
them.  Otherwise such vague claims aren't useful.