RE: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 17:59:25 -0700 (PDT)

> The gain is explained in NEWS.27: When the minibuffer is active, echo-area
> messages are displayed at the end of the minibuffer instead of hiding the
> minibuffer by the echo area display.

Yes, I know.  That's a misfeature, IMO - a regression
for users and libraries - but it was done on purpose.

It should have continued to be possible for `message'
to temporarily write to the echo area (yes, hiding
the minibuffer temporarily), instead of being co-opted
by the `minibuffer-message' behavior.

Instead of having both behaviors possible, and thus
usable for different purposes, they are collapsed
into only the `minibuffer-message' behavior (write
at the end of the minibuffer, instead of to the echo
area).