Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 13:03:49 +0000

When just the isearch is active, f10 does indeed work. When, additionally, C-x b is active on another frame, it throws the error "Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer". This is surely correct. However, the isearch highlighting doesn't get removed in this error case. That is incorrect.

It's not removed because isearch is not aborted. You can continue your isearch or abort it with C-g. That's a difference indeed: in earlier Emacsen isearch would have aborted in this case. Which one is better is not clear to me.

Yet another similar use case is when you type "C-x 8 RET" during Isearch: that reads the character's name/codepoint from the minibuffer.

This goes wrong. With C-x b active on frame F1, move to F2, start an isearch, C-x 8 RET, use TAB completion to select a character and RET. This displays

   Switch to buffer (default xdisp.c):  [Failing I-search: su�]

on F2. On terminating the isearch and completing the C-x b action in F2's minibufer, the buffer switch has worked in frame F1.

It doesn't go wrong, it has moved the minibuffer from frame F1 to frame F2.