Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 13:47:27 +0000

Hello, Gregory.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 13:03:49 +0000, Gregory Heytings wrote:

> > When just the isearch is active, f10 does indeed work.  When,
> > additionally, C-x b is active on another frame, it throws the error
> > "Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer".  This is
> > surely correct.  However, the isearch highlighting doesn't get removed
> > in this error case.  That is incorrect.

> It's not removed because isearch is not aborted.  You can continue your
> isearch or abort it with C-g.  That's a difference indeed: in earlier
> Emacsen isearch would have aborted in this case.  Which one is better is
> not clear to me.

Sorry, yes, you're sort of right, here.  But in this scenario, typing
C-b or C-a moves the cursor without terminating the isearch.  That is
definitely incorrect.

> >> Yet another similar use case is when you type "C-x 8 RET" during
> >> Isearch: that reads the character's name/codepoint from the minibuffer.

> > This goes wrong.  With C-x b active on frame F1, move to F2, start an
> > isearch, C-x 8 RET, use TAB completion to select a character and RET.
> > This displays

> >    Switch to buffer (default xdisp.c):  [Failing I-search: su�]

> > on F2.  On terminating the isearch and completing the C-x b action in
> > F2's minibufer, the buffer switch has worked in frame F1.

> It doesn't go wrong, it has moved the minibuffer from frame F1 to frame
> F2.

The minibuffer's contents, the C-x b, is acting on F1.  It is surely
wrong to have moved the minibuffer to F2.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).