Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area.
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2020 21:48:49 +0000

Hi Stefan,

(i) In a GUI environment, create two frames, each displaying a buffer.
(ii) In frame F1, do C-x b `switch-to-buffer', but don't type anything more.
(iii) Move to frame F2, and start an isearch with C-s some-text.

Although currently in F2, the isearch's pattern is displayed in the echo area for F1. This is wrong.

FWIW, this behavior has been with us at least since Emacs-21.

I fear that's not correct. I don't see this behavior in Emacs 21 to 26 (inclusive), it is new in Emacs 27.1. More precisely, it is because the new variable set-message-function has the default value set-minibuffer-message. To restore the previous default behavior:

(setq set-message-function nil)

IMO this could/should be fixed in set-minibuffer-message, by checking that the active minibuffer is on the same frame:

(when (and (not noninteractive)
           (window-live-p (active-minibuffer-window))
           (eq (window-frame) (window-frame (active-minibuffer-window))))