Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 22:38:04 -0400

  > So "clostring-prepend"

Rather, 'clos-prepend'.

                           doesn't really achieve anything other than making
  > it unreadable. Magnar's clever choice of naming is, I think, one of the
  > reasons people like his libraries. Why change a feature and turn it into
  > unreadability.

'clos-prepend' is not harder to read than 's-prepend'.

Ostensibly it is "just an optional package", but if "most packages use it"
it would really be a replacement installed half-way.

The s- functions, by themselves, are clean.  s.el by itself is not a
mess.  But Emacs plus s.el is a mess.

It contains 65 functions, similar to the Emacs string functions but
with idiosyncratic incompatibilities scattered throughout.  Some of
the changes are good, some are gratuitously bad.  Two different string
functiob interface, the one we developed and the one that was dropped
on us from outside.

Would we have any say over further development of the s- interface?
I get the impression we would not.

--
Dr Richard Stallman