elpa part of emacs? [Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el i

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: elpa part of emacs? [Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]]
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 15:28:00 -0400

I as a user of Emacs have always considered ELPA to be part of Emacs
-- if I run M-x package-install I get package from ELPA.  That too me
means that someone in the Emacs team has done something to add them,
and see that they vetted to be sensible.  And it follows that it is
some how part of Emacs, and not a third party.

So ELPA to me is an curated list of Emacs packages that the
maintainers of Emacs feel are useful, and try to follow the same
standards as the rest of Emacs.

As for the main reason I think that people would want to keep their
package in ELPA is that they have a different release cadance than
Emacs, which is relatively slow.

Allowing one to follow a specific package more closely than waiting
for it to be upgraded in Emacs, and then waiting for a new Emacs
release -- or even the situation when one is on an older version of
Emacs.