Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 22:27:19 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 15:13:23 -0400
>
> > I think you are missing the main point.  The problem is not
> > security, it is correct attribution.
>
> Sorry, it seems my email was unclear.  The proposal doesn't have to do with
> security.  I'm trying to find a robust way to figure out if someone has
> copyright papers.

But that isn't the main problem.  The main problem is how to identify
the name of the person for whom you need to check the status of
copyright assignment.  We are talking about the situation where all
you have is a commit made by someone in a Git repository other than
that of Emacs.  It has some name and some email.  That's all you have.

> That problem exists regardless of how we check whether someone has copyright
> papers, right?

Yes, but if a human does the checking, that human can do stuff that
programs cannot.

> What I'm trying to find is a way to check whether I can accept a patch into
> an ELPA package without having to email an Emacs maintainer every time.

Yes, I understand.