Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 14:51:26 -0400

On 06/05/2020 22.43, Richard Stallman wrote:
> It is not terrible lot of work for people to deal with those issues,
> but I wouldn't assume a simple program can.

These days assignments are signed with PGP keys.  Commits can also be signed
using PGP keys.  Wouldn't that provide an reliable way to pair up contributors
who have assigned copyright with their contributions?

Concretely, the suggestion is that going forward, address@hidden would sign the
keys used to sign copyright forms that it receives.  Then contributors would
use the same keys to sign patches, and maintainers would just have to query the
keyserver to check if the patch author has copyright papers on file.

(The suggestion is not that all Emacs commits should be signed; only that
people who don't have commit access but have signed copyright papers could
indicate that by signing their commits with the key they used to sign their
copyright papers)

Would that not work?

Clément.