Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 16:11:44 +0200

>   > I tried to find that compromise again, all I found was "See my message
>   > to Stefan for a change that would make s.el ok to add." but could not
>   > find this message. If you would be so kind as to quote Richard again
>   > so I have his perspective.
>
> I proposed to prefix the function names with 'clo' on the
> understanding that the names it defines are inspired by Clojure.  I
> said this would result in names such as 'clostring-prepend', because a
> message I had read had led me to think that they started with
> 'string-'.

I think it's a reasonable approach in theory. Practically I don't
think the maintainer would be ok to maintain two prefixes (one for
MELPA, one for ELPA) or willing to rename it because so many packages
depends on it.

I guess if one day we have namespaces or if it's easy to write a tool
that takes the existing s.el and rename it automatically to
clojure-string then we could automate it in ELPA under a different
name, but then I'm not sure that anyone would use it in ELPA except to
"try it out".

> But maybe I was misled by what I had read.  Do they actually start with 's-'?

Yes it starts with `s-`.

https://github.com/magnars/s.el