Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: dash.el [was: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs]
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 11:05:05 +0300

> From: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 09:38:04 +0200
> Cc: Joost Kremers <address@hidden>,
>  Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> But what is more disturbing is that you take strong positions about
> them that are in conflict with Stefan Monnier for example. These
> tensions needs to be resolved. Maybe Eli can facilitate this?

I don't know what you mean.  We each have our strong positions
sometimes, and there's nothing wrong with two or more people having
opposite strong positions.  It's normal to have differences of
opinions, nothing to find disturbing about that.  The important thing
is how we go about finding ways of reconciling the differences of
opinions, not how to cause us all to think the same (which I think is
impossible and even damaging).

> - As far as I know you are the only one who objected strongly against
> s.el in ELPA (others please voice your opinion if you think like
> Richard). This created an atmosphere of people fearing that you would
> use your authority to "veto" such adoption despite Stefan Monnier &
> others wanting s.el in ELPA. I think you need to clarify your
> position/power here.

Richard also proposed a compromise which AFAIU would allow it to be
added.  For some reason, that proposal got no responses at all.

> - For most users, dash.el and s.el are very similar in nature. dash.el
> is already in ELPA. If we refuse s.el, isn't it inconsistent? What
> about the message we send?

Are you saying that popularity and similarity of a package is the only
criterion we should apply when deciding whether to add a package to
ELPA?  IOW, are you saying that the technical details of the package's
implementation should not matter, for fear of sending the wrong
message?