Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 22:37:46 -0400

  > > I'm concerned with goals I consider quite important, such as (1)
  > > defending copyleft, (2) supporting the rest of the GNU Project, and
  > > (3) the overall design of GNU Emacs.

  > Right. And I'll posit that including s.el into GNU ELPA, by itself, will
  > not hurt any of these three goals.

It would mess up the naming in GNU Emacs, making two incongruous
systems.  AMS made it clear:

  > E.g., how is s-ends-with? more discoverable than string-suffix-p? When
  > Emacs Lisp custom is to use -p for predicates, and to use the words
  > suffix/prefix.  To take a trivial example.

  > But we should view it from the lense of an Emacs Lisp hacker, where
  > discovering that one function for predicates is named with -p and some
  > with ? will be a big mess.  Where sometimes one uses ends/starts
  > instead of suffix/prefix.

In addition to that incongruity in naming, look at the way some would
have us create it.  Those who argue for incorporating s.el are saying
that we should abandon judging Emacs design decisions, and blindly
yield to the choices of a group of people that hardly talk with us,
value other traditions more than those of Emacs and Lisp, and would
like to paste the others over those two.

--
Dr Richard Stallman