Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 05:54:30 +0300

On 11.05.2020 05:37, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > Right. And I'll posit that including s.el into GNU ELPA, by itself, will
   > not hurt any of these three goals.

It would mess up the naming in GNU Emacs, making two incongruous
systems.

Not in GNU Emacs, though. In ELPA. I would agree that s.el is, in a sense, unnecessary (considered by itself), but there are clear benefits to including it as well, as a part of existing ecosystem.

Those who argue for incorporating s.el are saying
that we should abandon judging Emacs design decisions, and blindly
yield to the choices of a group of people that hardly talk with us,
value other traditions more than those of Emacs and Lisp, and would
like to paste the others over those two.

This sounds like a strawman. We're not discussing doing that.

There was a separate discussion on improving some of the names of the functions in the core, but you effectively put a stop to that endeavor. I find that regrettable as well.