Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 22:10:10 +0300

On 07.05.2020 22:03, Philippe Vaucher wrote:
You know what? By these explicit decisions, ELPA is close to useless in the
Emacs community, MELPA is the biggest repo, and since MELPA isn’t ELPA, it
already has proprietary packages that a lot of people rely and use.
I'm very surprised to hear that.  Can you point to examples of
proprietary packages?  It's virtually impossible to legally distribute
a proprietary Elisp package because it inevitably has to link to some
existing Elisp code and almost all of it is GLPv3.
I'm pretty sure he meant "packages that use proprietary software".

In the example he cited (https://github.com/TommyX12/company-tabnine)
we see the license is MIT.

Indeed. So it's not a problem from the licensing point of view (I think).

But his general point is probably valid: the more we alienate the third-party community, and the more we are dismissive of their needs and expectations, the more likely they are to discount any of our other recommendations, pay no attention whether a package is in GNU ELPA or not, and generally use whatever programs that *do* attend to their needs.