Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 23:54:57 +0200

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> org-mode is a sledgehammer and the six outline-mode files are mere nuts.
> The org-mode source files are 100 times as big as outline.el.
>
> You do not have to "know" outline-mode to use it.  I certainly don't.
> It is merely text-mode adorned with a few non-essential commands for
> navigating via the outlines.  Anybody who can use Emacs at all can use
> outline-mode.
>
> By contrast, org-mode is a monster.  The learning time for org-mode must
> be non-trivial.

OTOH,

- I don't think I will ever manage to remember any of the keybindings
  for the outline-(show|hide)-… functions, which means I will never be
  able to use the "selective display" feature advertised in
  outline-mode's docstring without a cheatsheet.

- With org-mode, I can simply TAB my way through a document without
  figuring out whether what I want to show/hide are entries, subtrees,
  children, branches, leaves, sublevels, bodies…

So, while I agree that org-mode is a sledgehammer for e.g. idly browsing
NEWS, from a user's point-of-view (at least this user) and to borrow
your terms, outline-mode "is a monster" with countless esoteric
keybindings; meanwhile, I definitely don't "have to know" org-mode to
use it; I just mindlessly hit TAB on the thing I want to show/hide.

As I said in the bug report, to me this looks like a good opportunity to
provide a friendlier section-cycling command for outline-mode; it
boggles my mind that outline-toggle-children isn't bound by default.