Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Convert some files from outline-mode to org-mode
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 00:31:52 +0900

> On Apr 28, 2020, at 0:23, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> The point being that yes, hopefully Emacs users can find their way to
>> a menu or a help buffer; but as org-mode shows we can aim for
>> something slightly more ergonomic.
>>
>> If I have to whip these cheatsheets out every time I want to hide a
>> heading (which I used to do before I finally bound
>> outline-toggle-children to TAB), I might as well do away with
>> keybindings and just M-x outline-hide- TAB *squint* (or install
>> which-key and C-c *squint*).
>
> To be clear (but I know you understood), I was
> saying that menus, `C-h m', etc. mean that one
> doesn't _need to remember_ all key bindings for
> a mode.  They serve as a quick (yes) reminder.

Yes but the issue here is that the apparent similitude between outline and org
makes it difficult to know that one file is in outline and not in org and thus
creates unnecessary friction that has to be solved by such reference. There
would not be such friction if outline proposed a more reasonable navigation
system.

Jean-Christophe Helary