Re: High-res Customize icons

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: High-res Customize icons
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:38:10 -0400

> On Apr 22, 2020, at 3:28 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Yuan Fu <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 15:19:16 -0400
>> Cc: chad <address@hidden>,
>> Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>,
>> address@hidden

>>> Bad idea, IMO.
>>
>> Why a bad idea? I’m curious to know.
>
> Because you basically cannot trust different fonts to look the same,
> or even similar enough, and because some fonts will not have the glyph
> for those characters, which means complications.  It's tempting to use
> a special character, because it's easy, but it's a false hope, it only
> makes things more complicated.
>
>> From what I can see, unicode glyphs looks pretty good and comes for free,
>> and as Yuri said they could even work on text terminals. At least for the
>> simple shapes like ▶/▼, they seems to be a good option.
>
> We cannot base fundamental features of the Emacs UI on techniques that
> _might_ work.  We need techniques that _always_ work.

I agree.

Here is a patch for the high-res icons. Put both icon files under
/etc/images/custom.

In the patch I modified widget-image-find to look for @2x images. Can we even
modify find-image so it looks for @2x images (as an opt-in feature)? That way
Other applications (Magit, gdb-mi, etc) that uses images icons in buffer and
fringe could have high-res icons without changing a line of code (assuming they
use find-image).

low-res

PNG image

high-res