Re: High-res Customize icons

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: High-res Customize icons
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 20:36:48 +0300

> From: chad <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:09:20 -0700
> Cc: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>,
>       EMACS development team <address@hidden>
>
> As it turns out, the OP was more concerned about the "icons" that are
> probably better handled with fonts
> (similar to all-the-icons, org-bullets, and prettify-symbols-mode) than the
> buttons and dropdown-menus I
> (mistakenly) assumed.
>
> While we're on the topic of portability, though: how (how well?) does the
> support for older Windows versions
> handle these sort of fonts? It's been decades since I had to look at code
> points, and that was mostly in the
> context of European language translations rather than "icons" or emoji. In
> particular, if the terminal doesn't
> support such fonts, does it degrade reasonably? Empty rectangles? Boxed
> numbers?

We don't use fonts for the icons, so I don't think I understand the
question.

If a font is not available for some character, Emacs will by default
show a box with a hex code.  That happens on any platform, not just on
Windows.

But for icons, we use small images, and we use the libxpm library to
show them.